Monday, December 29, 2008

Intimate Monday with Victor McGlothin





Victor, thank you so much for being part of Intimate Mondays. I know that readers will enjoy getting to know you and your work. So let's get started.






1. What is a typical writing day like for you?

I generally write three to four days a week, starting with a workout while I read over the previous chapter written to stay in the zone. Then, I’ll lock onto the computer from 3-5 solid hours until either my head pops or I finish a chapter. If there is any time left, I catch a movie.

2. Do you need anything special to write? Quiet, music, a special place?

I write to music, usually soundtracks or female vocalists because their pain and growth comes in crystal clear.

3. What is the one thing about you that people would be surprised to know?

Uh… that I get up at 6:30, fix breakfast and get the boys off to school, no matter what time I got to bed the night before.

4. What is your writing process? How does a novel begin for you?

I bang out a one page storyline (what it’s about and how it should affect the reader), then I bang out an outline which usually takes about an hour. Before I write the first word, I know how it begins and ends (in between, things tend to move around a bit).

5. Where did you grow up and do you think it has impacted/influenced your writing?

I grew up in Oak Cliff, Dallas… very humble beginnings. It did allow me to see several layers of life from too much illegal money to boosting chickens from the grocer. Also, it taught me too respect people despite their hard times or mine.

6. Do you have siblings? And if so where do you fit into the mix?

I have two sisters, one older and one younger. They really dig my work and hype it every chance they get but both of them are terrified that their personal business will end up in my novels. Never happen… I can lie too good on my own without heisting second-hand dirt.
7. If you could choose a profession other than writing, what would it be?

I’m looking forward to teaching creative writing on the college level.

8. What is your definition of success?

It used to be getting a book deal and keeping the lights on. Ten books later, it’s staying in the game without missing a beat… and keeping the lights on.

9. Who did you share your first kiss with and when?

Ooh, for real… first kiss? Fifth grade behind the elementary school with Bobbi Eatman… it lasted 2 minutes. I was timed by my best friends who both wanted next up. Yeah, Bobbi was a hottie.

10. If you could have dinner with someone living or dead, who would it be with and what would you want to know?

I would love to sit down with Jesus, break bread and ask him how hard it was knowing that Judas would dime him out to the Roman soldiers.

11. Your favorite past time?

I really dig old movies… good movies.

12. What is your greatest fear?

My greatest fear is not being able to look out for and provide for my children.

13. What writers have influenced you and in what way?

Valerie Wesley Wilson, Walter Mosley and John Grisham because of the way they tell a story by making you walk in the character’s shoes. Regardless of the characters status or lack thereof, readers get something from each of them. No wasted words. No fluff.

14. What is one book that you would insist that everyone read? (other than your own) And why?

Every reader should read Walter Mosley’s “Little Yellow Dog” because it’s a masterpiece and the best of his ‘Easy Rawlings’ series.


15. Your favorite fictional character from someone else's book.

Easy Rawlins.

16. Who is your favorite character from one of your novels?

Baltimore Floyd for “Borrow Trouble” and “Ms. Etta’s Fast House.”

17. What do you want readers to take away from your work--other than being entertained?
I’m a teacher at heart so I want my readers to be enlighten while entertained.

18. Your favorite saying?

When a man is ready to marry, no one can stop him including his mama. If he isn’t ready to marry, no one can make him including his mama.

19. Your favorite curse word?

Ass: as in big and dumb.

20 What is the best advice you've ever received?

Be significant and success will follow.

21. One thing that always pisses you off?

Somebody lying on me. If I didn’t hit it, don’t go around saying I did!

22. What are you currently working on and when can readers expect to see it?

“Women of Newberry” is the current name. It’s my eleventh book and the prequel to my very first. I know, that’s a trip that my career has come full circle. I’ll be finished with this novel by Christmas but it won’t hit the shelves until some time in ‘09. Look out for “Sinful Too” in Oct. 08.


23. Where do you see yourself in five years and how do you plan to get there?
I plan on sitting on at least 5 movies sold by then. Starting this January, I will start writing screenplays.

24. If there was only one thing in the world that you could change what would it be?

Laws about men walking out on their children. There aren’t any.

25. If you had the chance to go back and do something over in your life, what would it be?

I would have taken the movie role offered in “Any Given Sunday” rather than the management position with AT&T that happened to be a joke (that’s why they bombed). Yes, I landed a speaking role with one month of guaranteed pay to shoot on location.





Victor McGlothin lives in the Dallas area with his wife and kids. He left a Vice President position with a bank to pursue writing. So far, so good.

1 comment:

W.I.L.D Sun Publishers said...

I enjoyed reading your interview Victor. Thank you for sharing a part of you with us. I really got excited when you mentioned Walter Mosley and Valerie Wilson Wesley books. It is time for Wilson to write another book; I can hardly wait. I think Mosley is a genius when it comes to writing. I have every one of their books. I too love Mosley’s Easy Rawlings series. Have you read his latest book The Tempest Tales? It was truly a masterpiece. I won't go on babbling about their readings. I must be honest with you I have never read any of your books, but anyone with your taste and love for the two authors mentioned above must be on to something. I will be checking your books out. I pray you have much success with your future endeavors.

Linda Moses
http://wildsunpublishers.blogspot.com